Cloud eggs with spicy tomato waffles
Surely more than one of you have already seen on the social networks the famous «Cloud Eggs» or «Eggs in a cloud». This elaboration is not something new, in fact looking for information about them I found that this elaboration already appeared in a children’s book of the year 1963 «The cuisine est un jeu d’enfants«, but it has been now when they have begun to have greater diffusion.They seemed to me fantastic and today I leave you my version, Cloud eggs with spicy tomato waffles.
Maybe you are thinking, what the hell are cloud eggs? Ok, you will see that it is a fairly simple elaboration only with an undoubtedly attractive aspect.
To elaborate the cloud we will have to whip the egg whites until they form stiff peaks acquiring a good consistency that allows us to work or to manipulate the egg-whites. Of course, always with care because otherwise we would get them down quickly.
These egg-whites are baked for 3-4 minutes to take firmness and a slightly golden color. Then pour the yolks on them and bake for 2-3 more minutes. Simple, right?
It is a very light elaboration because it does not need to add any type of fat, oil … although we can accompany the egg-whites with grated Parmesan cheese (or some other variety that you like) to enhance a little its flavor. In this case I have not added anything in the egg whites except for a little salt and pepper.
And how can we accompany these cloud eggs?
Without doubt with what we like most. From a simple toast to a salad, accompanied with vegetables or with some waffles. I love waffles in all their formats. These salty waffles are close cousins to the chickpea waffles I left you a while ago.
On this occasion I wanted them to be spicy and that part of his hydration was a natural tomato broth / soup. That’s when I came up with some of the Bloody Mary soup I left over a couple of weeks ago. I made lots of it and I froze in individual airtight containers.
You can use this soup in many elaborations, as with these waffles 😉
The result is a waffle with a rather spongy texture (similar to a sponge cake), not like the original Belgian waffles (only available in Spanish). The taste is super powerful with spicy nuances, leaving a really extraordinary flavor.
this Monday I share this lovely sonf from Astrud Gilberto «Agua de beber», link Youtube.
After that you would season with what you like the most. At home we are crazy about avocado and we love to eat it practically daily. But you know that admits many options and the important is that it is to your liking.
CLOUD EGGS WITH SPICY TOMATO WAFFLES
FOR THE CLOUD EGGS:
- 4 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE SPICY TOMATO WAFFLES:
- 4,2 oz (120 g) chickpea flour
- 1 large egg
- 0,88 oz (25 g) canned coconut milk
- 4,4 oz (125 g) Bloody Mary soup*
- 1,4 oz (40 g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chile oil*
- freshly ground black pepper
* Recipe in links
- chopped cilantro
- black sesame
Make spicy tomato waffles.
- In the Kitchen Aid or stand mixer bowl add all the ingredients and mix with the wire whip until smooth.
- Set aside cover with film until needed.
NOTE: If we are going to make the waffles in a few minutes, we can leave them at room temperature. Otherwise refrigerate the batter until you cook them.
Make Cloud Eggs.
- Preheat the oven to 445ºF. Line a baking tray with parchment, set aside.
- Separate yolks from the egg-whites.
- Whip the egg-whites until they form stiff peaks. They should remain firm and without a liquid consistency in the bottom of the bowl. Season with salt, pepper and mixed again to homogenize.
- With the help of a spoon, divide the whipped egg-whites into 4 parts trying to give a round and voluminous shape. Make a indentation in the middle of each with the base of the spoon. This is where we will place the yolk later.
- Bake for 4 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and pour a yolk into each hole. Return to the oven and bake for 2 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven.
While baking the eggs, cook the waffles.
- Preheat the waffle maker. Add 1 1/2 Tbsp to make each waffle.
- Close the waffle maker and cook about 3 minutes. The cooking time will depend on each waffle maker, in my case I preheat to heat 4 (about a maximum of 5) and leave them for about 3 minutes. Always check the cooking point by opening the waffle maker after 1 1/2 minutes.
- Remove, place them over a rack and make the remaining waffles.
Serve waffles with the clouds eggs.
- Divide the waffles into individual serving plates.
- Decorate with very thin slices of avocado and place * a cloud egg on each waffle.
- Sprinkle with black sesame, salt, chopped cilantro and a few slices of jalapeño.
- Serve immediately.
* To move each cloud egg from the tray to the waffles, it is best to use a palette knife. Slip on the base to take it off and carry it.
- The cooking time of the cloud eggs will be according to your tastes and the way that works your oven.
- The egg-white will take a golden color and its interior will be soft and fresh, not dry.
- Yolk, in this case, is a runny yolk and not overcooked. This is the way I like it, but if you like more set you will only have to prolong the baking time for 1-2 minutes more.
- I made the waffles with broth that I had from the Bloody Mary soup but you can substitute it for another type of soup or even make them without it. Like these chickpea waffles I left you long ago.
I must admit that the Cloud eggs are different but we liked them, at first I did not know if they are going to like us because I thought that the egg-whites would leave a texture unattractive to the palate … but no, the truth that surprised me for good. I think that if you do not cook the yolk excess, as I share in the post, the eggs will be better.
Happy start of the week!